• From 14 December 2007, all residential properties being openly marketed for sale required a Energy Performance Certificate

  • Energy Performance Certificates for properties being marketed 'For Sale' remain valid for 10 years from the date of issue

  • From October 2008 all residential properties being offered for let must have an EPC to show any potential residents before contracts are signed.

What Is An EPC, And Do I Need One?


Energy Performance Certificate



​Types of Property Affected

  • All fixed and permanent residential properties

  • Flats

  • Maisonettes

  • Detached and Semi-Detached properties

  • Property bought ‘off-plan’ before physically complete

  • Barns

  • Previous Industrial premises already converted back to residential use


After discussion, the original intention that an Energy Performance Certificate would remain valid for just 1 year from the date of issue was changed in October 2008 as follows:

  • Domestic Properties or Dwellings marketed For Sale or Rental: 10 years

  • Non-Domestic Properties either For Sale or To Let: 10 years



The following domestic residential buildings are currently excluded from the requirement for the vendor to produce a Residential Energy Performance Certificate:

  • Mixed domestic and commercial properties, e.g. a shop with none-separated accommodation

  • Non-residential property such as Barns being sold with a residential property

  • New homes built under Regulation 17C, Part L of the Building Regulations 2006

  • Non residential structures within the perimeter of a domestic property, e.g. a separated garage or summer-house being sold off separately from the main plot or structure

  • Otherwise sound properties being sold for demolition or redevelopment where all permissions have been obtained;

  • Properties which are dangerous or unsafe

  • Any property that is not fully self contained i.e a dwelling that shares a bathroom, WC, or Kitchen with another dwelling, commonly found in residential homes

  • Bedsits

How Long Does an Energy Performance Certificate Remain Valid?


Responsibilities of Vendors and Their Agents Regarding Residential Property Sales

The seller (vendor) is to ensure that the EPC has been commissioned before marketing of the property commences where no such certificate is already available.
The person acting on behalf of the seller (usually the estate agent) is to be satisfied that an EPC has been commissioned before commencing marketing.

The seller and a person acting on their behalf are to make reasonable efforts to secure an EPC within 7 days.


The requirement to show an Energy Performance Certificate should be self-enforcing.


 The requirement for the Energy Performance Certificate should be enforced in house sales by the prospective purchaser or tenant, estate agents and solicitors.  The benefits the additional information should have on marketing properties will ensure that estate agents, and sellers will be eager to use the information the pack or Certificate provides to market the property more effectively and efficiently in comparison to similar properties.

However, and ultimately, Local Trading Standards Officers are responsible for the enforcement of the regulations, the first point of contact by the consumer being to contact Consumer Direct with details of the dispute who will then refer the case to the relevant Local Authority on your behalf for further investigation and action.

Policing and Enforcement


As of April 2018, any tenancies longer than 6 months being granted or renewed will hinge on whether the property has an EPC rating of ‘E’ or higher. Landlords are liable to pay a hefty fine if they do not adhere to the regulations.

MEES: New EPC regulations for landlords

For further information or to request a quote